Rites of Passage


Rites of Passage
Photo (c) D. Williams


Do you remember when you were in elementary school and it seemed like it would take forever for you to reach middle school (junior high)? The next big milestone was high school, perhaps attending your first prom or earning your driver's license. Then off to college, or service work or starting a family. No matter what stage of life we achieve there is always that very next milestone just ahead of us. And although we may not dwell on growing from youth to adulthood. 

If you think about it the passing of time seems faster as you grow older. Knowing that each moment we are creating a memory that may linger for years or fade slowly into the archives of our lives. Each year we have an opportunity to pause on or near your birthday to celebrate the passing of time (another year gone quickly). Some people like to make a big splash, others prefer quiet solitude (that's me) and many prefer to think of their birthday as just another 24-hours. 

Years ago, I began dedicating each birthday to world peace and sending a gift to my mom. She always sends me the most amazing cards, that are full of inspirational words of wisdom. I consider my mom a wisdom keeper. And each year I feel as though she shares more and more of her wisdom with me. She is a woman of few words. But it is the carefully chosen words she uses to make her point that I never forget. 

Over the years I too have shared a few words of wisdom through my writing, teaching and heartfelt discussions with family and friends. Well the older I get, I feel a little wiser, mainly on the inside. There is a feeling of inner peace, especially when I smile. You may hear me say during a yoga class "smile on the inside". Because a simple smile can help you take positive control over how you feel in the moment. Try it now. Just smile. And then notice how you feel. Now back to the party. Yes, there is going to be a celebration next month. A celebration of life, peace and Kanjin's 10th Anniversary.

Namaste,
Dee Williams

Comments

Popular Posts