Yoga and Mindfulness


(c) 2018 Kanjin Yoga all rights reserved

Yoga and Mindfulness

It is amazing when two good things come together such as yoga and mindfulness. I have practiced a variety of meditation techniques over the past thirty plus years and found them all to be very beneficial. In my youth in elementary school when my gymnastics teacher from Japan explained to the class how to notice your footsteps when you walk it seemed strange.
His instructions were very clear, place your foot on the ground and notice how you plant your heel, then the ball of your foot then your toes. He instructed that as we walk pay attention, notice how walking can be calming to the mind and body. 

This simple mind-body teaching was something I have never forgotten. In fact, one day coming home from a sock hop dance at school. my shoes were stolen, so I had to walk home bare footed. It was a long walk to my grandmother’s house, where I was living at the time. I noticed every stop with keen awareness. At the end of my walk home there was a broken glass on the sidewalk that I did not see and when my foot hit the glass it hurt and bled. And from then on, I have not really enjoyed walking barefooted. But when I do, it always places my mind in a calm state and I notice the placement of the heel, the ball of the foot and the toes. I learned from an early age to really be mindful of the simple act of walking. 

This spring I began teaching others about mindfulness. It is a teaching that is intentional and takes practical experience and patience with yourself. It has many different aspects. Meditation is a quality of life. and it is not just sitting down and centering and being quiet. Mindfulness has a deeper meaning allowing over time for you to find out more about your true self. This is sometimes called enlightenment. Opening to who you really are in all aspects of your being in an honest way without judgement of yourself. It is also called "keeping it real". Being real is also the same as becoming whole again. Releasing the worries, and the disturbed thoughts that make you feel sometimes defeated in life and taking the road less traveled into the inner self, with present moment awareness. And not constantly being overcome with thoughts of the past, where we look back and judge ourselves. Once we enter the practice of present moment awareness there is true freedom. In the introduction to mindfulness classes I try to cover the basic concepts, with practical examples and exercises and in a fun way help the students take each step on their journey with awareness and compassion. 

In our yoga practice the guidance from an experienced teacher is for the student to be present and listen to their own intuitive wisdom. This is an important instruction that reminds one that it is possible to combine yoga and mindfulness to achieve the expected outcome of mind-body balance.

I enjoy teaching mindfulness, yoga and  meditation.

Introduction to Mindfulness 6-week series (register at Seattle Central College)

Mindfulness Meditation and Yoga ongoing weekly (register at Kanjin Yoga)

Mindfulness Meditation 4-week series once quarterly May, Aug, Nov, Feb  (register at Kanjin Yoga)

Namaste,
Dee Williams

Comments

Popular Posts