The Art of Living --------- A Ten Part Series by a Modern Day Yogi -------- Part 8: Gratitude



The Art of Living – Part 8: Gratitude

Today I am filled with gratitude for three little people who are growing up so fast. It seems like yesterday when I held my first granddaughter shortly after she was born. It is a feeling of joy, crossed with overwhelming gratitude that she arrived safely and healthy. She is going be ten this year and as I have watched her grow. I reflect on what the world will be like for her when she arrives in her early adult years.

Gratitude seems much more expansive than what is present for an individual in a given moment. It brings one into awareness of our connection with people, places and things that we may take for granted. It might be something simple like a car that starts in order for you to get to your destination on time.  Or it might be a well written essay that places your grade in the top tier of your class. Each day we could take a moment to acknowledge our gratitude for what is good in our lives.

There is a concept in Buddhism that says "obstacles lead to enlightenment". And when I reflect on this teaching. It seems that even things that are not going perfect in your life can be a time for gratitude.This is a concept that was not exactly what I needed to hear when I was working long days and going to school at night. I am grateful for the people who were there to encourage me. I am grateful for sticking with my studies over many years. And over time I learned more about my inner resolve and determination.

Gratitude is a seed from which may spring deeper feelings in which we define exactly why we are grateful. In our practice of yoga we reach the depth of an asana and find gratitude for the time we spent trying to find the ease while holding the pose. Throughout the journey in life and in yoga gratitude is a lens from which our reality can be more readily accepted. And from that reality we can set some audacious goals and reach high for our dreams, even in the face of seemingly unsurmountable obstacles.

Comments

Popular Posts