Reflections on a yoga practice

Ask anyone you know a question about yoga and you will get as many different answers as the number of people you speak with. The reason is that yoga is over 5000 years old and is just becoming more popular in the modern societies of the western world. Its history is broad and it is studied by insightful scholars over many years.

My practice is in its infancy compared to others. I began my practice to alleviate the symptoms of work-induced stress. At first event, the thought of taking a yoga class was stressful. My nature is shy and reserved and my first yoga classes were taught by men from India who were confident, articulate and more outgoing it seemed to me. The classes full of people from all backgrounds but felt as though they were speaking directly to me. I was not used to having such attention and guidance. They were able to help me get out of my head (where I was telling myself, “I cannot do that”) and into a mindset of today at this moment I will do my best. This shift in my thinking transcends outside the yoga room and the stress began to subside also.

At the beginning of class, there was a chance to bring your full awareness and attention into the present moment. This warm up period enables you to let the thoughts about the past and the future go for at least the ninety minutes during the class. At the end of the class is an opportunity to reconnect with our life as it is. Moreover, yoga gives one the option to come out of the class with some new insights about life.

Yoga begins and ends with ease in a place that enables you to reconnect with your inner bliss.

Comments

Popular Posts