The Practice of Freedom

There are less than sixty days until 12-12-12 and I am inspired to make a note of my feelings at this moment. After years of meditation, I realized that I have been carrying a long tail of the past along with me into the present. It was revealed to me after a recent traumatic episode in my life. When such obstacles arise you search deep inside for answers asking questions such as; "Why Me"? Upon reflection I have come to understand that patterns tend to repeat with the same theme throughout your life for a reason. It is your karma from the distant past speaking loudly into your present reality. In some cases we listen and learn in other cases we just don't know how to respond.

All summer I have had an attitude of gratitude for every aspect of my life the good and the not so good. I live each day as if it is my last. This attitude of gratitude helped me break through so many mental barriers that had me stuck at times. I found it is necessary to leave the past and live in the present. In so doing I open my heart and mind to the answers that are dancing just in front of me and face life with an unwavering joy on my journey.

I have learned through my practice of mindfulness and meditation to be with what is, and accept that there is an inner strength that helps us see obstacles for what they are and to rely on my intuitive wisdom (God within) to help me rise up to meet every challenge.

The practice of freedom from desires and passion is called "vairagya", in the yoga tradition. "Learn to be free from desires and passions and to cultivate non-attachment to things which hinder your pursuit of union with the soul." Patanjali Yoga Sutra 1-12.

This idea of freedom from passion and aversion is broad, so here is an small example; If you had a nice jacket that you liked very much and the label inside the jacket said "dry clean only". You would surely not want to do anything to get a spill or other damage on the garment. However, one day, you find yourself caught in a downpour of rain wearing your lovely jacket. Your mind instantly becomes upset at the thought of your nice jacket getting soaked. In that moment could you detach from your reaction to the rain soaked jacket and just enjoy the rain? It may not be a  jacket in your life, but it could be anything that you are attracted to or that you crave.

Could you detach from the object of your desire without causing suffering for yourself or others? Could you become free from desire and passion?

Comments

Popular Posts